Friday 21 September 2012

In The Beginning...

I've known since I was a child that I wanted to be a comedian. I found out two things when I was 12 that changed everything though. Number one was that comedians are not lizards that change colour. Number two was that I was dyslexic.

I started writing screenplays at 18 and haven’t stopped since. I am now at a point in my life where I wish to pursue it in a more serious way. This is why I am bringing a team together to produce a short film or pilot which will then hopefully get commissioned for a short series.

My first major life choice was to study the dream that is Comical Engineering. Unfortunately my newly invented dyslexia had struck again. I wasn’t going to be engineering comical situations but was in fact learning about heat transfer and fluid systems. Trying to make these subjects funny was like trying to breaking one of the laws of thermodynamics (which are impossible to break by the way.)

After studying Chemical Engineering for four years and working for a year as a process engineer, I realised that as much I enjoyed it, I have other ambitions. I chose to move to South Korea, a country I knew very little about, to teach English. It was there that I decided that I wanted to create a show about this fascinating culture. It was so cliche and predictable - I was following in the footsteps of so many others, on the way to becoming a sitcom writer; study chemical engineering before moving to South Korea to teach English.

It has become clear that if I want to get my Korean show made, I will have to do it myself. No-one is waiting around for my script with a few hundred thousand pounds in their hand. I am grabbing this project by the horns and learning to steer – it’s all very exciting. This website (and its brand new domain!) will promote the production, as well as acting as a release valve for all those pent up moments of angst we encounter as a team.

I am looking for contributors and anyone who wants to help with the production. There will be a lot more information coming in the next few weeks so stay tuned. You can help Sobweb Productions and the show by sharing this website, liking this post, and becoming a fan on facebook. Thanks for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment